Information About Geography : Your Career In
The career area you choose may depend on whether you are more interested in physical or human geography. You can consider jobs that are degree-related, jobs that appeal because they incorporate other interests or elements of your degree, or jobs that are not related to your degree at all.
These job options are just a small sample of the jobs open to geographers. Most will require some experience or further training after your degree. The Royal Geographical Society website has a useful careers section, and its booklet 'Going places with geography' includes interesting case studies of geography graduates and their varied career choices.
Jobs directly related to your degree
* Cartographer - evaluates sets of geographical data and presents the information in the form of diagrams, charts, spreadsheets and maps.
* Environmental consultant - collects and interprets data from a variety of sources to help formulate policies for clients. Works in air and land contamination, noise and water pollution or ecological land management.
* Geographical information systems officer - IT professional who uses computer-based systems to handle geographical information.
* Planning and development surveyor - investigates, plans and manages proposals either to build new developments or to organise the refurbishment of existing buildings.
* Secondary school teacher - you'll need to take a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), a Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) in Scotland or equivalent course, before you can teach geography in schools or colleges.
* Town planner - directs the planning of land use, trying to reconcile any conflicting demands such as the needs related to housing, the environment or recreation.
* Urban general practice surveyor - values, manages and markets residential and commercial property and may act as an agent for clients in the sale, purchase or leasing of property.
A range of jobs in physical systems and the natural environment is also available to geographers who undertake postgraduate study or research, including pollution analyst, earth scientist or coastal engineer.
Jobs where your degree would be useful
* Logistics and distribution manager - manages the supply, movement and storage of goods and materials through the whole supply chain process from manufacturer to customer.
* International aid/development worker - focuses on meeting the needs of people and communities in the developing world. The work may be located either in the UK or in a developing country or region.
* Local government officer - works in economic development and regeneration, transport, tourism, housing, environmental services (e.g. sustainability and recycling) or central services such as finance.
* Market researcher - performs a wide range of activities and will often specialise in a particular area such as consumer, industry or social and political research.
* - devises transport strategies in line with government policies.
(This information is extracted from prospectus.ac.uk with the permission to reproduce.)
Other Career Opportunities
Psychology : Your Career In
Job options with Psychology
Politics : Your Career In
Job options with Politics
Physics : Your Career In
Job Options with Physics
Mathematics : Your Career In
Job Option with Mathematics
International relations : Your Career In
Job Options with International relations
Law : Your Career In
Law Job Options
Civil Engineering: Your Career In
Civil Engineering Job Options
Business Study: Your Career in
Job options with Business Study
Civil Engineering : Your Career In
Job Options with Civil Engineering
Agriculture : Your Career In
Job options with Agriculture
Sociology : Your Career In
Job Options with Sociology
Humanities : Your Career In
Job Options with Humanities
Hospitality management/hotel and catering : Job options
Job option with Hospitality management/hotel and catering : Job options
Geography : Your Career In
Job option with Geography
Health Studies : Career In
Job Option in Health Studies
History : Your Career In
Job options with History
English: Your Career In
Job options with English
Education : Your Career in
Job Option with Education
Economics: Your Career
Job options with Economics
Computer science/IT : Your Career
Your Career with the subject Computer science/IT
Chemistry : Your Career
Your career and job option in Chemistry
Business Study: Your Carrer
Career in Business Study
Career with Biology
Jobs options with Biology
Your career in Anthropology
Accountancy and finance : Job options
Your Career with Accountacny and Finance